Hi Pete,

Take a look at this article on helix ground planes:
<http://www.alzacomm.com/downloads/Helix_Letter.pdf>http://www.alzacomm.com/downloads/Helix_Letter.pdf

It is also possible to make a helix with no ground plane.
This was a cover article of the IEEE Antennas magazine in 1995.
Search for the article

Kraus, J.D. A helical-beam antenna without a ground plane.
IEEE Ant. Prop. Mag., 37 (2), 45, 1995.

at

<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/guesthome.jsp>http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/guesthome.jsp

You have to buy this one from IEEE if you are not an
APS member.

Best of luck with your projects!

73,
Tony AA2TX