What you are seeing is over-charge which is normal. The battery should
settle around the 9.6v mark and last a while there. Even when charging my
Sanyo Superlatice Evo Cell 2700mah batteries I see over-charge. A good page
to look at regarding power consumption in the FT817 is
http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_pwr.html . He sums up that a good way to
conserve power is to turn the IPO On, keep the NB Off, keep the Screen
Backlight Off, and stick to using the Front BNC connector will save the most
power. Wearing headphones and transmitting on lower power helps out too.

~73, KC2WQW