Dave,

Those of us who bought it early on, including me, were very disappointed in
its satellite performance, and in some cases general quality.  At least two
people I know had theirs brick for things like battery or transmitter
failure.   Upgrading the firmware did result in some significant
improvements, but  it never was more than marginally useful according to
most.  If you look back in the archives, there were some quantitative
reports using lab equipment which compared it with the standards such as the
D-7.  The performance issues were clear, even on the bench.  I finally sold
mine to someone locally who is very pleased with it for terrestrial use.
Even with the latest firmware, is was demonstrably less sensitive than other
rigs with identical specs, and with poor full duplex performance.  My own
experience, and some of the regular satellite rovers, was negative.

That having been said, I had seen a few reports from people who were VERY
pleased.  That may be based on different levels of expectation, or the
traditional process where manufacturers make running changes in production
to address problems.  Also, the iffy quality control may be a factor.  I see
that Alinco has changed their US distributor, which may or may not be
relevant, and the rig has been on sale recently.

My suggestion is to see if you get any reports from people with recent
production.

Alan
WA4SCA