There are two versions of the G-5400.  If you plan to interface it for computer
controlled tracking, you will want the G-5400B.  This model has an 8 pin DIN
jack on the rear of the controller for a computer interface, such as the LVB
Tracker, TAPR track box, etc.  The G-5400B provides the transistor drivers and
relays necessary for the interface.  The G-5500 and G-5600 also have this
interface.

The Yaesu G-5400B, G-5500, and G-5600 are basically the same rotors with minor
differences.  The elevation rotor has changed very little since the Ken-Pro
R-500 elevation rotor.  The same goes for the G-400 Azimuth Rotor.  The units
are NOT interchangeable though, because Yaesu has added limit switches to the
rotors in various models and has relocated the motor run capacitors from the
control unit to the rotor housing.

The biggest difference I see between the G-5400B and the G-5500 are additions
of a limit switch and a set of Pricy connectors which replaced the terminal
strips and weather proof housings for attaching the control cables.

It is possible to interface to rotors, such as the G-500 elevation rotor, the
G-400 Azimuth rotor, and the Hy-Gain rotors, but you have to create the relay
board to do so.  I have done interfaces for an R-500 and Hy-Gain HAM-IV that is
compatible with the G-5400B.  I am currently using the R-500 and HAM-IV and a
G-5400B for field day setup.  Everything is plug compatible between my home
station and my portable setup.  Check the field day pictures on QRZ.

John Kopala
N7JK