On 17 Aug 2010 at 20:24, Keith Sloan wrote:

Date sent:              Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:24:02 +0100
From:                   Keith Sloan <ke...@sloan-home.co.uk>
Subject:                [amsat-bb]  Expanding Radio AMSAT's to include
telescope.
To:                     amsat-bb@amsat.org

> Is there any reason why a future Amatuer Radio Satellite could not
> include a small telescope and CCD imaging.
> Would seem to me to be more productive and useful than just exchanging
> contact details. After all there are
> Weather Satellites.

Satellite spin and thumbling for some with a 10 minutes effective pass make's
pictures collecting in real time hard to download at 1200 and
even at 9600 bauds.

ISS was sending SSTV pictures at a rate of 3 or 4 per pass and it was still
pictures with a very good quality no spinning or thumbling and
camera was always pointed at the same point as iss is stabilized on 3 axis

An HEO or MEO satelite will be more suitable for this task but the next HEO
launch seems not to be for tomorrow.

"-"

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Skype VE2DWE