Bob -

Yes, the TRANSIT satellite appears to be designed for a low speed broadcast
style service.

An Internet entry/access page would permit an "ease of UI" for the creation of
the

message to be properly encoded, upilnked and then broadcast on the downlink.

Application would require these characteristics:

1. Content would have to be tolerant of no more than 2 changes each day, no
stock quotes!

Electronic equivalent of the old morning and evening newspaper.  What does a
locl nespaper

provide for content that is still relavent or desired?

2. Content woiuld have to be relavant to amatuer radio or educational /
scientific community.

3. Contant needs to be "global" in nature -- regional or country specific would
not appeal to the larger global audience.

4. Should be content that has highest value to a mobile/portable station (think
of a lone person in South Pacific - small island or boat: Tom Hanks in Cast
Away ).

What daily "global" content wojuld be most useful for them to know?? Assume
they have the radio to receive and laptop computer.

5. Due to infrequency, data / information has to be "correct the first time" --
retractions woudl take one or two days (reducing validity of service content)

Some content ideas:

a. Daily solar activity/propogation daily bulletins (also sent via ARRL and
Internet accessilble) useful to amateur DX community

b. Lunar information for Tidal predictions

c. TLE of amatuer radio satellites and ISS

d. Global "short message"/bulletin to amateur radio community -- beyong ARRL
focus -- more along ITU / global scope

e. Astronomical events of "note" --- northern and southern hemisphere.  Plantes
visible, rare alignments.

f.  Special events (scientific, radio, etc.) -- hemispheric or very wide
audience

Greg

w9gb

Message: 11