I was also surprised at how quiet SO-50 was during my initial attempts.  I
thought there something wrong with my setup.  I find the traffic on SO-50 is
very light.  Don't know why...could be the time of day (or night in my case).
I had great help from KC2WQW and W6ZKH.  Regardless of anyone else being on,
when you can hear myself on the downlink, you know you're getting through.
have fun!

73's Peter VE7NGP