It is my understanding that the transit system is inactive.
This was a Navy navigation system that used the approx 150 MHz and
400 MHZ signals for determination of location.
I used this system while active duty in the USN submarine service.
I listened to the 149.985 MHz signal at home for many years, but,
have not heard it for at least 10 years.
The birds were known as OSCAR (for operational) by the Navy.
Here are some links to some information indicating that at least one
bird was transmitting in 1996.
http://space.skyrocket.de/index_frame.htm?http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/transit-o.htm

http://sd-www.jhuapl.edu/Transit/

http://techdigest.jhuapl.edu/td/td1901/index.htm

If you do hear a Transit satellite, and the satellite is operating
properly, you will hear a data burst, known as a Barker word.
This data burst occurs at every even 2 minute mark.
It can be used as an accurate time hack.
The assumption was that the unit using the system would have time
that was at least accurate to a minute and this could be used as a time hack.

Hope this helps

73
Glenn
WB4UIV