From: Ed Long [mailto:wa4...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:01 PM
To: gary_mayfi...@hotmail.com; and...@msu.edu; AMSAT-BB
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Re: Latest AMSAT Journal

Everyone,

First - sorry for the slow response to this thread. Seems like everything I
do is late!!!

Second - the Journal delays are due to a number of factors. The two greatest
factors are a lack of publishable articles and me. I frequently have a lack
of enough articles to produce a full issue on time. So I delay publication
until I can get enough content to publish an issue. Secondly, I have a real
job and busy life and I frequently have to travel. (Ask Barry how many times
he's called me and I was in England or China or some far away place like
that.) That prevents me from working on the Journal and that delays things
sometimes. I try my best to get the Journal to you on time, but it seems
that most times I am unsuccessful.

The plan is to send the Journal to the printer the first week of the second
month shown on the cover. For example, the January/February issue should go
to the printer the first week of February. The printer should get it into
the mail the week after that so that you would receive the issue mid to late
February. That should hold true throughout the year. Unfortunately it
doesn't happen that way very often, thus the delays. AMSAT certainly is NOT
delaying the Journal - I am - for the reasons above.

So I apologize for the delays. I do try to provide you with a quality
Journal with a variety of interesting and informative articles. Thanks to
the great people that contribute to the Journal and my associate editors,
Bill Hook and JoAnne Maaenpaa, we eventually get there with each issue.
Despite the fact that I've been late, we have NOT completely missed any
issues.

I hope this explains things a bit. I know it's not acceptable, but we try to
do the very best we can.  BTW - the July/August issue went to the printer
last week so it's running late too. This delay was due to me this time.
Houston was HOT!!!

Ed Long
WA4SWJ
Editor, The AMSAT Journal