My July/August 2010 issue of The AMSAT Journal arrived today and I was pleased
to see the article by Alan Biddle on Doppler Tuning. This has long been a pet
project of mine since Paul Williamson, KB5MU, published his article "The One
True Rule for Doppler Tuning" in the OSCAR Satellite Report, January 1994 and
my article "A Recommendation for Doppler Tuning" in the March/April 1996 issue
of The AMSAT Journal.

I was especially pleased by Alan's call for satellite tracking programs that
control your transmitter and receiver to display the "frequencies at the
satellite." This should be very easy for the developers of the software to do.
For example, in SATPC32 (an ad for which appears on the last page of Alan's
article), the  "frequencies at the satellite" are almost displayed now. In the
center of the window, just below the menu bar, are displayed the Receive and
Transmit frequencies (at your location) and just below these are the Doppler
correction values from the "frequencies at the satellite." Algebraically
subtracting the lower (Doppler correction) value from the upper (your site
frequency) values yields the "frequency at the satellite."

It would seen to me that the program should display the "frequency at the
satellite" as the frequency of your receiver and transmitter are most likely
already displayed on your rig. How about it, you software developers? At least
give your users the option of which value to display in your window.

As an aside, speaking of Doppler shifts, I (along with K5EWS and others) are
currently working on a method of tracking model rocket flights using an
inexpensive UHF transmitter (925 MHz CW in my test case) in the rocket and,
using several receiver sites, analyze the Doppler shift of the transmitted
signal and use the mathematics of Trilateration to determine the location of
the rocket in 3-space. Our first full scale test is this coming weekend.

Ron Parsons W5RKN