Hello All,

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter as I complete my
shack renovations.  Soon I will be at the all important stage of
figuring out the best way to locate radios, computers, logbooks etc.

This brings to mind a couple of questions.

1) Apart from the extra rotator controllers, the computer running a
tracking program and the pre-dominance of VHF and UHF radios, are there
any other accessories etc that distinguish a satellite operator from a
'normal' operator?

2) Given that you really find out how good you are when the PC crashes
halfway during a QSO and you then have to manually operate two radios
for Doppler shift and two rotator controllers as well as mic/key, what
controls do you operate with each hand?  Would a footswitch for PTT be
worthwhile?

3) My planned layout is (from left to right): 19" rack holding various
bits of equipment that I don't generally need to touch, TS-811 for 70cm,
K3 for 2m, rotator control box, and computer.  Eventually I will build a
switchbox to use one headset between the two radios and place this
between them.  Though I have a TNC, I rarely do any digital work.  Does
this seem a logical layout for a right handed person?  I will have the
luxury of using a larger desk than before and the layout will be more
horizontal than vertical.

Contesters spend some effort on the ergonomics of their station.  Any
advice on how I could get mine right would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

73 de David VK5DG (who is looking forward to getting back on the air).