Having been a ham for over fifty years and having worked most modes of
operation, including chasing DX and even satellite back in 1979,  I totally
agree that working AO-51 can get frustrating.  However, if you think the mess
on AO-51 is bad, try working a rare dx expedition sometime.  Talk about
pile-ups!

As for protocols, I think I've read this same protocol discussion in just about
every ham mag. and no one has  come up with a workable solution that solved the
problem.  People are individuals and they tend to do what they want to do.

I really wish I had a workable, amiable solution, but I don't, sorry.  However,
don't recommend the Frequency  Policemen idea, they generally just tend to make
everyone more upset and the confusion gets even worse

Now I'll get off my soap-box.
Thanks,
Merle, AA4QE