I saw a mention of an issue  of  folks not wanting to make a big
investment in satellite stuff to work SSB/CW.

ALL of the original ham satellites were SSB/CW birds. No FM.
And most hams already had enough equipment to get started.  The
uplinks were on 2 meters or 70CM (that took a little more doing),
the downlinks were on HF or 2 meters.   Some of the RS birds
where  HF up and HF down, and HF up, 2 meters down.  Interesting
stuff!

Most folks had  HF gear to start off in ham radio. I did not have an HT
until I was a ham for probably 20 years.

Nowadays there is a LOT of  VHF/UHF multi mode gear floating around
the used market for reasonable prices.  Also the antennas are available,
sometimes
for real cheap, or  haul it away for free. Keep your eyes and ears open.

You don't have to go to AES/HRO/M-squared/HyGain/Cushcraft and buy new
stuff
to work these birds.   There are many old timers who gave up satellite
work when
AO-10 and AO-13 went away, and their stuff is sitting around gathering
dust and
rust.

Hams are supposed to be resourceful and innovative!

And I went and sold my FT-847 which was about the most expensive rig I
ever
bought!  Don't need it for these FM birds, I just use a dual-band mobile
rig, works
just as well.

73,
John