--- On Fri, 4/2/11, Mark L. Hammond <marklhamm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) It doesn't look like we're going to be able to afford a
> HEO.

Hi Mark,

But the cost for a 3U CubeSat to GTO might just be feasable. Trouble is the
path loss with simple omni antennas, although the path loss would be
considerably lower if we used bands like 50 and 29MHz.

Snag also is how do you generate enough solar power to get a decent amount of
RF output for something in HEO ? I reckon one of the great things about
AMSAT-NA's FOX project is that they are experimenting with foldout panels.
Never been done on a CubeSat so it's pioneering work. But that's what 1U
CubeSat's are great for, a chance to experiment with new ideas at what is in
Space Terms a very low cost.

Looks like we are going to need to devise new ways of getting more power and
functionality in smaller packages. FOX is a great step in that direction.

73 Trevor M5AKA