Hi Greg!

> "Started out very well" ?
>
>  - Earthquake
>  - Rain
>  - Power out
>  - Lightning
>
> I'd hate to be around when you're having a bad day...

Well, it *did* start out well on Friday.  Even with the earthquake.  I have
felt lighter earthquakes in the past on trips to California, and one time when
working in Phoenix about 20 years ago.  But never anything like I felt
yesterday, and nothing where the severity was 4 or higher (yesterday's
was reported at 5.1 on the Richter scale).

This morning was a perfect storm, so to speak, for a hamfest that also
doubles as an emergency-preparedness show.  I had my portable gear,
flashlights, and jumpstart battery packs ready to go.  I loaned one of my
flashlights (it has a deployable mini-tripod and the light head is on a hinge
that can be directed downward) to the ARRL DXCC card-checker table,
and they were able to work on applications and look at lots of cards until
the power came back on after 2.5 hours.  The power outage affected much
of Yuma, and not just the hamfest site.

All in all, it was a good event.  At the end of the hamfest, there was a large
barbecue in the main hall.  Almost 300 were there to have some really good
food.  Now I'm back where I have been staying for the past couple of nights
in California, before I drive back home tomorrow afternoon.

By the way, thanks to those who worked WD9EWK on 3 different passes
this afternoon - AO-27 around 2135 UTC, then in a 30-minute period starting
at 2235 UTC on FO-29 followed by AO-51.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Calexico, California
http://www.wd9ewk.net/