Like most things on the bb, this is not a new topic.  Several years ago, on the
first cruise I took out of Galveston, TX, I followed (exactly) the advice from
Allen, N5AFV, on his various web articles.  You can get a good overview here
and links to more details as well:
http://www.qsl.net/n5afv/cruise.html

Allen has been there and done that and I had nothing but success in following
his recommendations.  I had the license and the ship's permission--no problem.
I have another cruise planned April 11-17 (listen for me on AO-51), but
remember my first cruise "experience" like it was yesterday:

EL60

27.08.2007
1358
N5ZNL

27.08.2007
1358
N5AFU

27.08.2007
1359
W7JPI

27.08.2007
1400
W0SAT

27.08.2007
1402
XE1KW

EL51

28.08.2007
1320
N5AFV

28.08.2007
1321
N3YZ

 EL45

29.08.2007
1418
WA2EHL

29.08.2007
1419
W7JPI

29.08.2007
1419
W0SAT

29.08.2007
1420
N7JK

29.08.2007
1420
KE5CWC

29.08.2007
1421
XE1KW

29.08.2007
1422
N5ZNL

I used an FT-51R and an AL-800 antenna.  I plan to take an Arrow this time :-)
73,
Jerry, K5OE