Hi Mark, N8MH

Our friend Paul K6HR is worry about to overload the receiver front end
using in front of it a preamplifier and as per his question he want to know
if in front of his receiver IC 821H a preamplifier SP432  with 24 dB gain
is better or not then a SP432 model with a gain of only 15 dB

In his question Paul is not considering the Noise Figure but only the gain
of  a preamplifier and this is not enough for a correct analysis.

In addition our friend Paul K6HR is considering preamplifiers model
SP 432 so that he need a preamplifier for 70 cm and not for 2 meters.

This is why I first converted the receiver IC 821 H sensitivity
specifications into a Noise Figure value of 4 dB and then I have explained
to him that following my calculations a preamplifier SP432VDG with
NF= 0.55 dB and a Gain of 16 dB into the frequency range 420-450 MHz
is recommended to increase the overall sensitivity without to overload
his receiver.

The model for 70 cm SP432VDG needed by Paul K6HR has a Noise Figure
of 0.55 dB and a gain of 16 dB as specified in the bottom line here:

http://www.advancedreceiver.com/page7.html

73" de

i8CVS Domenico