When the RF signal leaves the duct, it doesn't disappear.  It keeps radiating
in
the direction that it was going, and can successfully reach any altitude
appropriate for that line of propagation.  The hard part, is then getting the
return path (the downlink freq) to propagate with the same characteristics so
that you can actually hear it.  But, it is not impossible at all...

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW