I'm thinking about purchasing a couple of new HTs for the XYL and I to
carry around but I'd like to make sure that whatever I get works well
with the birds.

Being that APRS is a must I narrowed down my choices to the Yaesu VX-8DR
and the Kenwood TH-D72A.  If I were just using the radio for terrestrial
purposes I'd probably go with the Yaesu as the addition of 6m and 1.25m
is a great feature for me.

If you have one of these units and have used it on the birds I'd love to
hear your feedback.

73,
Eric W4OTN