Paul,

The main advantage of a preamp is increasing your sensitivity by
lowering the noise figure of your receiving system.  You lose some of
that  by locating the preamp in the shack.  Any coax loss between the
preamp and antenna adds directly to the overall NF:  80-foot of
LMR-400 is 1.2 dB loss and added to a 0.5 dB NF preamp nets you a
system NF = 1.2+0.5 = 1.7 dB.

But it will still increase the sensitivity of most radios that have
NF in the 6 to 12 dB range.

Recently I lost one of my eme preamps on my tower and used a preamp
at the shack.  My normal system NF = 0.76 dB.  In the shack I had
0.25 + 1.7 dB cable loss = 1.95 dB NF.  That lowered my sensitivity
by about 5 dB but I still received eme signals.

I would suggest you make a comparison for yourself.  Try the preamp
in the shack and try it near the antenna and see how much that
affects your receiving ability.  It is not hard to enclose a preamp
inside a plastic box for outside use (a small sandwich box works).

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 08:36 PM 3/13/2011, Paul Delaney - K6HR wrote:

>Does anyone have their preamps in the shack as opposed to mast mount?
>Any major disadvantage to having the preamps in the shack?
>I just acquired two AR2 SPxxxVDG preamps and understand they are not
>weatherproof and would need an enclosure to mount near antennas, which for
>the time being is not possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
>Paul Delaney - K6HR
>paul.hamra...@verizon.net
>http://k6hr.dyndns.org:8080

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45