At 08:37 AM 3/16/2011, wa4...@comcast.net wrote:
>I wonder if the Jet Stream might bring radation from Japan ouer the US
>http://squall.sfsu.edu/scripts/jetstream_model.html
>WA4HFN

Interesting maps.

The natural circulation is west to east so possible that some
radiation could transverse the world.  During the Chernobyl accident
radiation was detected in Alaska.  Probably into western US,
also.  Chernobyl impacted eastern Europe and Asia more, but was
located in the Ukraine.  Japan is much closer to the US.

At this point the radiation release is much less than what happened
in Chernobyl.  It is more a danger in the immediate area surrounding
the plants.  If the reactor container has a breach then one can only
guess the results.  So far it has been intentional release of
radioactive steam resulting from heat of the reactor core and fuel
rod storage area.  Unfortunately H2 gas is released in the extreme
heat as sea water was applied for cooling and that led to explosions.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45