Alan,

I just read through the ARRL claim that you provided a link to.  Here is a
re-paste of the link again for posterity:
http://www.arrl.org/news/npstc-says-hr-607-needs-to-be-amended

I also read the NPSTCs letter to ARRL, found here:
http://www.arrl.org/files/media/News/NPSTC_letter_to%20ARRL_RE-legislation_HR607.pdf

Being a skeptic, I went off and perused the bill, which can be found here:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr607ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr607ih.pdf

Here is one snippet from the bill, where they refer to this part of the
spectrum:
"""""
(1) REQUIRE MIGRATION BY PUBLIC SAFETY ENTITIES.—Not later than 8 years after
the date of enactment of the Act, each public safety entities shall end their
use of radio spectrum above 420 megahertz and below 512 megahertz and begin to
use alternative radio spectrum licensed to public safety services in the 700
megahertz and 800 mega- hertz bands."""
"""""

The section above does not appear to pose any threat to regular amateur use.
Now, moving forward a few lines in the doc, you will stumble upon this:
"""""
(d) RECOVERED PUBLIC SAFETY SPECTRUM.—
(1) AUCTION.—Not later than 10 years after the date of enactment of this Act,
the paired electro- magnetic spectrum bands of 420–440 megahertz and 450–470
megahertz recovered as a result of the re- port and order required under
subsection (c) shall be auctioned off by the Federal Communications Com-
mission through a system of competitive bidding meeting the requirements of
section 309 of the Com- munications Act of 1934.
"""""

So the question is: what part of 420-440 can be 'recovered as a result of the
report'?  The paragraph above references a report required by subsection (c).
This section occurred right before subsection (d), pasted above.  Here is what
subsection (c) had to say:

"""""
(c) MIGRATION PLAN DEVELOPED BY FCC AND 16 DHS.
(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 6 years after the date of enactment of this Act,
the Federal Com- munications Commission, in consultation with the Secretary,
the Assistant Secretary, and Federal, State and local public safety agencies,
shall issue a report, detailing the plan for public safety entities to end
their use of radio spectrum above 170 mega- hertz and below 512 megahertz and
move all use to the radio spectrum licensed to public safety services, in the
700 megahertz and 800 megahertz bands.
"""""

I figured i'd drop this here to give others a quick-look into what is going on
(or at least snippets of it)  I am a reasonably new Ham and am pleased to see
this type of activism.  Thumbs up to those that have their eye on these types
of issues.

I had never heard of the NPSTC before, until I read the letter to ARRL.  So I
learned at least one new thing today!

Thanks BB,
Joseph Armbruster