Hi Jim!

> I worked XE2AT this morning on AO7 at 16/1254Z when I was in grid DL40.
> He told me later that not only was it a new grid, but that it was grid
> #1000 for him. That's a terrific accomplishment!

When I read this e-mail this morning, I sent an SMS to Alvaro
congratulating him on this accomplishment.  He replied, and
here's the translation of that reply:

"Thanks, Pat, but the merit is for all of you that travel hundreds
of miles for activating the grids.  I only press the PTT.  Many
thanks to all of you."

Alvaro (as XE2YVW back then) was my first satellite contact,
in March 2000 on SO-35.  I also worked XE1MEX on that pass,
and have the QSL cards for both of those QSOs.  I didn't stick
with satellite operating then, nor did it stick when I tried UO-14
in 2003.  Since late 2005 when I tried AO-51 and stayed with
satellite operating,  And XE2AT has gone in my log dozens of
times for QSOs from locations across the USA as well as on
my trips to Canada and Mexico.  I've helped Al with some new
grids, even though I was late to the satellite "game".  He's
helped me with a bunch of grids across Mexico as well.  I'm
very happy to see that he has continued to be on the satellites,
and has been able to work his 1000th grid.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/