Bob,

You shouldn't need either if you plan on using a dual-band antenna.
However,  You'll get good uplink, but your downlink will likely suffer.
Then's when you want to use a Diplexer to split your receive signal out so
that you could put a preamp in line or even better, a beam antenna and
preamp.

Jeff Moore  --  KE7ACY

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob- W7LRD" <w7...@comcast.net>

I'm really trying to "absorb" all this diplexers / duplexor thread.
Specifically I have a new FT-8800 and want to run FM sats from my truck. Not
wanting to reinvent the wheel would a simple dual band whip suffice. Then
maybe requiring a preamp, and how all that works maybe with a di / du etc.
My head is starting to hurt.

73 Bob W7LRD