That is absolutely true in that any, at least any non-profane, word can be used
as a phonetic.  However, readily recognizable words definitely work better.
That is why there are standard phonetic alphabets including the ICAO and APCO.
In the world of working DX geographical names have become a defacto standard
phonetic alphabet.

Now when working your friends on a local FM repeater, then "funny phonetics"
are fine since they know who you are.

The late Jack Camp, W5HS, used to say "Whiskey Five Horse . . . . . . Shoe"
when working locals.  But, when he was working DX he used "Washington Five
Honolulu Spain".

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com