There's a good bunch of hams in the area that cover just about all of the Cape
launches and rebroadcast the countdown nets on a local repeater.

You can get the skinny at http://www.lisats.org/.

I was able to view a shuttle launch a while back from next to the VAB, and had
my little VX-3 tuned to their freq.  I was consistently up to date on holds,
issues, and the like.

73s

Tom Williams
KJ4EAW