From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of John Geiger
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:38 PM
To: K5OE
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Question about radios

The Icom 9100 isn't overpriced at all considering all it does.  If all you
want to use it for is the satellites, there are cheaper alternatives.
However, it also does true dual receive on HF (something the Yaesu FTDX5000
and Icom 7600 don't do), it has the roofing filter options for increased
HF/6m performance, plus several other nice features.  If you want a good,
high performing  HF/VHF/UHF rig, it is a great bargain.

73s John AA5JG

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM, K5OE <k...@aol.com> wrote:

> I can tell already this is an old thread that will go on for a while.
>
> Money is almost never "not an issue," so fitting the radio to the user
> is always a matter of preferences and priorities.  If you want HF +
> satellite in one rig, the TS-2000 and the FT-847 work, but not the
> IC-910.  If you want 23 cm in the rig, the TS-2000 and the IC-910 work,
but not the FT-847.
>  If you want to power your preamp(s) without any external wiring, the
> FT-847 and IC-910 work, but not the TS-2000.  If you want a built-in
> antenna tuner (HF), or a built-in TNC, or built-in voice recorder,
> then only the TS-2000 works.  If you want lots of 3rd party software,
> then the FT-847 is your best bet.
>
> I agree with Ed, the IC-9100 seems priced outrageously for what it
> is-reminiscent of the IC-970H.  Maybe I've just lost a sense for the
> market-look at the price of new cars!  For a strictly satellite rig,
> an IC-821H is still a very good radio selling for half the price of a
> used IC-910 (and just a bit more than a FT-736-the FT-847 of a
> previous generation).
>
> A decade ago I bought a TS-2000 for a number of reasons, including the
> ability to work the HF satellites (RS-12/13 and AO-7) in one rig.  I
> sold an FT-990 and an IC-820 and had money left over.  I still
> consider it really good value.  While I have never liked the controls
> as well as my Yaesu HF rig(s), I came to really appreciate the DSP
> functions and the CW features and had great fun with the TNC on the
> ISS, pacsats (especially UO-22, RIP), and APRS.  I added 1.2 GHz when
> AO-40 was launched.  I scored higher in HF contests with it than I
> ever had with the non-DSP Yaesu rig.  I wasn't bothered (too much) by
> the infamous birdie because I could tune around it with the
> combination of a high-gain UHF antenna and a preamp, but do consider
> it a fatal flaw to anyone considering the radio for use on AO-27 or SO-50
with a low-gain antenna system.