It's been a while since I've done any satellite packet work, but I've
used various TNCs (PK-96, TAPR TNC-2) and software (ZTerm, MultiMode,
maybe MacTNC).  If you aren't seeing the serial port, the problem is
probably with the TRENDnet adaptor.  I'm not familiar with it (never
heard of it, actually), so can't help with specifics.  Make sure you
have up-to-date drivers for it.  I've always used Keyspan USB-serial
adaptors; they work well for me in both Mac OS and Windows VM modes.

-- Dave, W8AAS