That's actually a very good discussion. I too got back into ham radio after
about 20 years of absence and of course bought a
sat ready rig (FT-736R), built an antenna and off I went. I had my first QSO on
AO-07 and was stoked because apparently the
antenna I built out of PVC pipe and copper tubing (IOio) worked and I made a
successful contact. After that I put up a basic rotor
with two beams and was hoping to have more fun.
Well .. I'm not sure if that stressful exchanging of grids on the FM sats can
be classified as fun and I also found myself pretty lonely
on the SSB sats which made me question if I really want to go the next step to
get a AZ/EL rotor, pre-amps etc. and spend all that
money just to have maybe a handful QSOs a month. So I'll be monitoring here for
a bit more to see what the situation is like. In the
meantime I sold the FT-736R to fund a newer HF radio and postponed more
extensive station building.

So what is the state of affairs really with SSB sats in the US? It seems that
they're more active in Europe.

73 Mike K5TRI