From: "Alexander Sack" <pisym...@gmail.com>
To: "KM9U" <arsk...@gmail.com>
Cc: "amsat-bb" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:57:53 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: [AMSAT-BB] ISS, what the heck happened?

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:40 AM, KM9U <arsk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So I think everyone read the announcement ARRL made before FD.  Now
>>> that FD weekend is at an end, can someone explain to me why NASA
>>> couldn't let the astronauts have 10 minutes on the radio for one pass?
>>>  I mean were they having issues with the radio itself?
>
> During Expedition 24/25, Col. Wheelock made many contacts from the ISS  in
> the evenings and on weekends during his free time. This was not because he
> was "scheduled" to be the radio, but rather because he enjoyed doing it.
> I don't believe we can blame NASA for the current crew members obvious lack
> of interest in Amateur Radio. Had Col. Wheelock (or someone as enthustiastic
> as he) been aboard the ISS on FD, NA1SS would likely not have been silent.
>
>> Have you never make a calculation or an estimation on how it costs a 10
>> minutes of an astronaut activity all costs including on board of the ISS ?

I don't buy it.

What I do believe is the current crew isn't that interested in making
contacts with amateur radio operators.  That's fine.  Operating the
radio outside the educational outreach program is ertainly not part of
their mission.  I will just have to be more patient and hope someone
gets the ham bug up there during some mission and starts to make
contacts.  I can wait.

I DO want to state again I think it behooves NASA and the whole space
program to try to get someone on that radio like a Col Wheelock
(doesn't have to be as frequent as Col Wheelock) to generate the
enthusiasm and excitement for the ISS and the whole space program
among hams.  My 2 cents.

> This brings up an interesting thought. The astronauts receive monetary
> compensation for performing their duties while employed by NASA. So, if
> their employer schedules them to operate amateur radio as part of their job
> assignment, would this not violate Part 97.113 (Prohibited transmissions)
> which specifically prohibits "Communications in which the station licensee
> or control operator has a pecuniary interest, including communications on
> behalf of an employer".
> Now, DON'T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A WAD! It is just a question.

There is no pecuniary interest involved as I see it.

-aps (KC2ZSX)