Mother Nature has provided some pretty "biblical" disasters in recent months...

Joplin, Haiti, Japan...   we had our own bout of tornado’s here in central MA
last month (in fact, I live in the the path of the ‘53 F5 Worcester tornado,
which until Joplin, had the dubious honor of having the most fatalities....
yes, in Massachusetts).

I think it would be pretty straight forward to review each, as an organization,
or on your own, and make an honest assessment of what role Amateur Radio played
in the aftermath of each, in duration, response, scope, ability to get back up
and running, and impact, especially against the “other” media... cell, internet
messaging, other radio services, and social media. Then judge 6-12 minute
access to a moving, single-channel repeater five or six times a day (assuming
you have the means during a disaster to know when the passes are) against the
rest.

Also, keep in mind how many will or could have access to ham radio, and how
many have access to the rest.

I would love nothing better to serve my community during a natural disaster,
via VHF, HF, or even satellite. But how bad does it have to get before “all
else” really does fail, or not come back up quickly?

Bill
W1PA