Jeff, KB2M,

I am sending the schematic for the G-5500 separately.

Disconnect Azimuth and Elevation wires 1, 2, and 3 from the Control box.
Check the resistance across the 1 and 3 leads.  It should be 500 ohms.
Check the resistance across the 1 and 2 leads.
It should be between 0 and 500 ohms and should change as the rotors are turned.
If these tests pass, the problem is in the control box.  If not, the problem is
the pots in the rotors.

If the pots are OK, the problem is somewhat more complicated.
Looking at the schematic, there are separate circuits for the meters and for
the feedback level
to your automatic control.  If the IC's failed, the ones involved are Q3 and Q4
which are 4558s.
Since these are dual circuit ICs, that would mean 4 failures at the same time.
Not likely, but possible.

More likely the problem is either in the Q1 power supply circuit which provides
the power for Q3 and Q4
or the Q2 regulator, a 7806, which provides the voltage to the pots.  A failure
in these circuits would
kill the meter readouts and the voltage feedback to the automatic control.

John Kopala
N7JK