From: Bill Acito W1PA
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:55 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: Pin assignments on a stereo mic input?

One more for today...  I am using a stereo digital recorder for logging. It
has a stereo 3.5mm mic socket.
I am using a "attenuating" patch cable from the HT audio into a "stereo
splitter" plugged into the mic input
(it has a stereo plug, and two mono sockets ---  tip and base, and ring and
base). The other side of
the splitter has a mic.  So the intent it to put the HT into one channel,
and the external mic (recording me)
into the other channel, when recording.

I am only hearing the HT audio on playback. I have a feeling that the plug
"base" connection is not ground --
it is on the ring or tip.

Any one have or know the signal assignment on a recorder mic jack?  base,
ring , and tip?  I would assume
it would also match the assignment of the mic input of a PC (if you know
that)?

Bill
W1PA