very interesting question, I expected planty of answers.
with my little experience, I use the sun for RF source and program
which calculating elevation and azimuth.
When you pointing to sun you can hear sun noise but you need to have
wideband like ssb 2.4khz or AM.
the better way is without AGC.

I hope this is useful for you,

any comments are welcome