Another thing that may have gone is the RF sensing circuit that is
probably set for 25w max.  RF switched preamps are more susceptible
to burn-out as they rely on fast switching of the preamp bypass
circuit.  Even a few milliseconds delay will allow enough RF energy
to zap the delicate GasFet in the preamp.  This is why we suggest
using a sequencer to control RF switching before RF is
generated.  Its not done much by satellite operators but very common
by mw and eme stations.

Some high-end radios have transmit RF delay settings available in
their menu.  if you radio has such, add 50-100 ms delay will provide
much more protection.

You know re-reading your comments I wonder if you transmitted 440-MHz
thru a 144-MHz preamp?  The RF sense circuit might not detect 440 as
well as 144 MHz.  That is why radio with separate VHF and UHF
antennas are preferred.

Best to return to ARR for repair - it is a flat rate.
I have repaired many ARR P144VDG over the years.

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 12:48 PM 8/6/2011, Zachary Beougher wrote:
>Thanks for the responses everyone.  And Dee, no, I am not a handy tech -
>obviously!  I transmitted probably 2-3 times through it using 35w, 1-2
>second each, then it blew.  Like you, Mark, I am a little surprised it blew
>so quickly, but oh well.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Zack
>KD8KSN (aka reckless preamp handler) =P

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
EME: 50-1.1kw?, 144-1.4kw, 432-100w, 1296-60w, 3400-?
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@gmail.com