Dear Friends,

This is speculation but it looks to me like we
have had a bit of good luck regarding the battery.

Looking at the battery voltage from deployment on...

Up until Aug 11, the battery seems to be deteriorating
"normally" with a slight downtrend in the max voltage
as expected. But on Aug 11, the battery voltage
suddenly rises up to 36 V max and the satellite
has started resetting in eclipse.

I think the explanation is that the battery experienced a
significant event on Aug 11 where it lost the electrolyte
in one or more cells. If this is true, the bad news is
that it will no longer hold a charge and will not operate
in eclipse any more.

But the good news is that without electrolyte,
it would also stop dendrite growth that causes
the eventual battery short circuit.

In our ground testing, our test battery failed in the
usual way with the battery load increasing until the
solar panels could not drive the power bus high enough to
run the satellite. But interestingly, several cells also
cracked and dumped their electrolyte during this testing.

If a cell on the flight battery cracked and dumped its
electrolyte BEFORE the shorts were formed, it should
stay that way and the satellite may very well continue
to operate in the sun until it starts to re-enter. We just
need some luck to avoid a bad solar angle that would cause a
reset in sunlight.

Keep your fingers crossed! :)

73,
Tony AA2TX