Yes Phil, you are correct. Communications and earth observation in orbit are great examples of space applications that have succeeded. But, they are also things that we've already done. I admit that there is probably more to explore and learn here, near to us, but I was really thinking about more distant space exploration. Our planet is pretty boring from the perspective that we are here, and get get around on it to see what's on the surface. Subsurface exploration in the Ocean (I'd like to know a lot more about those now underwater cities that appear to have been buried by catastrophic floods from ICE age ice dams breaking), and other deep earth observations would be a good thing to learn more about what is going on without planet and how we are affecting.

Higher orbit or distant communications systems are exciting. A repeater or two on the moon for example would be something that we might try and be ready to provide should a moon mission come up on the horizon.

Gregg Wonderly