I have no option to turn off AGC with the FT-736R. I had been running on the Medium setting (my default) and have switched to Slow now. I'm not sure to say because it's rather subjective just watching, but I think it has slightly improved capture especially at AOS and LOS as well as when I have de-sensing due to my other VHF stations so rudely beaconing their APRS and WL2K info without regard to the science going on! ;-)

Jerry
N0JY