Hi John,

Just yesterday I was trying to find time to type out a few AO-51 updates;
this will be brief, but hopefully informative to those on the list.

AO-51 is currently transmitting on 435.150 FM (LHCP) and using a 145.880 FM
uplink.   We expect the keep this configuration "until futher notice."  The
power level is just under 1 watt (about 980 mW).    The last restart of the
satellite was something like 18 days ago!!  This stretch of uninterrupted
service has been great, and really just "good luck."

Because of the failure of one cell of the six-cell battery, the bird remains
in "limp mode."  By that I mean we are limited to simple commanding and
configurations, because a software upload/execution has proven impossible
due to the lower voltages resulting from the one dead cell.  At least we can
set power levels manually, change uplinks/downlinks, etc.  But there is no
telemetry collection/storage, no BBS, etc.

There is a second cell in the battery that looks "sick."  We have no idea if
it will be the next cell to go (probable though), nor what the result will
be (if we lose another cell, "limp mode" probably will no longer be an
option, and the mission might be considered over.).  It might last a few
days, a few months, or who knows...a few years?  (doubtful).

The current scenario of AO-51 is one reason we need to keep moving AMSAT and
satellite development/building/launching moving forward!!  We have learned a
lot already with ARISSat-1, and FOX looks promising. AMSAT needs the support
of its users now more than ever...

A little speculation--recently we have been looked upon kindly by the
"battery shorting gods."  It looks like AO-51's dead cell has failed
closed/shorted--which is good for this bird; and it looks like maybe
ARISSat-1's battery might be failing/have failed in an "open" fashion--which
is good for this bird!

73!

Mark N8MH

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM, John Geiger <aa...@fidmail.com> wrote:

> How much power is AO51 currently running? It sure sounded good on the
> 2200UTC pass yesterday-much more solid receive here than I was getting for
> AO27 or SO 50.
>
> 73s John AA5JG
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Glasbrenner" <
> glasbren...@mindspring.com>