----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Leikhim" <rhyol...@nettally.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:42 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Adjusting true north for azimuth rotator.

> I am planning to install my G5400 rotator inside a tower having a welded
> rotator shelf. The tower is not installed yet and will have one face
> against the side of my house which is positioned about 28 degrees
> northeast (Per Google Earth).
>
> I assume when I drill the rotator shelf, I can adjust for the gross 28
> degree offset of the tower. However how important is it to do this at
> all? Does the rotator have to be installed exactly toward true north or
> can I make up the difference when clamping down the antenna mast
> assuming the antenna is oriented true north?  Note I will be using a
> Trakbox and need the ADC to center on true north.
>
> Secondly does anyone know if the ruler function in Google Earth points
> true north? It seems pretty handy that a fire plug in front of a
> neighbors house is at about north point.
>
> --
> Joe Leikhim
>
> Leikhim and Associates
> Communications Consultants
> Oviedo, Florida
>
> www.Leikhim.com
>
> jleik...@leikhim.com
>
> 407-982-0446

Hi Joe ,

Your rotator have to be installed exactly toward true north.

First of all using the traching program rotate manually your
azimuth rotator until its pointer schowes exacly the azimuth
and elevation of the Sun at a selected time preferably near
noon.

Now quicly clamp down the antenna rotator to the mast
until the antennas are aligned exacly toward the Sun.

Now your Antenna system is calibrated as well toward the
North.

73" de

i8CVS Domenico