What you're describing is the AMSAT Phase 3 paradigm which IMHO is still the
most viable way to go.

I would never say never, but we (AMSAT) haven't had great success with
propulsion systems in our amateur satellites.  That is why I'd like to have
more experience with successful propulsion events in Molniya-like orbits before
I'd recommend attempting maintaining a GEO orbit.

73, Ken N2WWD

Sent from my iPad