Hey there all,

I was doing some prep work for the next Boy Scout Radio Merit badge class we
will hold at the National Scouting Museum in Irving, TX on Feb. 11 and was
mapping out the AO-27 and SO-50 passes for that day.  I was surprised to
note that they are almost on top of each other or at least down here not too
many degrees apart.  I know this has happened before but since the uplink
and downlink frequencies for these two satellites are quite close, I would
expect quite a bit of interference at times to each of them during my pass.
SO-50 has a weaker downlink power so most likely I suspect capture effect
would for the most part wipe it out or at least make the signal quite noisy.
Also the issue of antennas like the Arrow that have a decently wide
beamwidth on the two meter uplink side will cause issues with the same
uplink possibly hitting both satellites at the same time.  Folks with higher
gain fixed stations may be able to differentiate each satellite for uplink
and downlink but us little portable guys may not.

Any experiences that those of you veterans can pass along on dealing with
this type of situation will be appreciated.

73
Tom Schuessler
N5HYP
On Feb 11th, K2BSA/5