> What's funnier is the 35 million spent on solar panels...
> to save $475k a year...[and] take 70 years to break even.

Its a lot more than breaking even.  Don't forget about a few million tons of
pollutants and burned fossil fuel byproducts, and destroyed land and habitat
that now don't have to be sacrificed to produce all that energy we demand...

> ...I think that savings is probably based on every day
> being sunny. Indiana is not what I would call a great
> place to operate solar panels. Many cloudy days and in
> winter, it's possible for ice to cover objects for long
> stretches of time.

ANyone can easily compare the real-10 year actual solar weather effects for
anywhere in the country.  SImply google for "PVwatts" and pick the city and
state.  It will compute the yearly power for any array and is based on the 10
year actual climate history for that site.

A quick check for Indianapolis shows a 10 kW array will generate 12,238 kWH per
year worth $893 per year.  A quick check for Houston Texas produces the same
KWH (12,198) but the value is worth $1183 per year.  So unless Houston has
lousy weather too, both are comparable.  The only reason that Indiana's payback
is less is because their electricity is cheaper at 7 cents compared to 9 cents
for texas.

The neat thing about the PVWATTS web page is that the entire country uses the
model for designing systems because it gives REAL numbers based on the 10 year
climate model, not just wishful thinking.

AH, I just did  it for Phoenix arizona and the same array would produce 16,170
KWH per year worth $1374.  SO yes, Indiana is about 75% as productive as
Phoenix, but I think you would like the weather in Indiana better than the 120
degree temperatures in Phoenix.

Bottom line, the effects of local weather are FULLY included in all solar
estimates and anyone can do them in seconds on the PVWATTS web page.

Bob, WB4APR