From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Samudra Haque
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:18 PM
To: Edward Cole
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: EggBeater

Hello, can I ask a question related to this several-years old thread? At
George Washington University, this fall we will be on the air and are
buliding up an amateur radio club ground station from scratch. Currently we
are collecting equipment, cables, etc., while we wait for the construction
to begin on a new door in the interior of a third floor class room space to
let us use that area as a "radio room" or something like that. At my home
QTH, I'm testing out the radios we can use, and would like to both receive
and transmit - with omni antennas (e.g., eggbeaters, QHA ) and later AZ-El
yagis.

Assuming an LNA is used at the antenna for the RX path,  would it be
practical to use that same omni for uplink? What are the recommended power
settings for such an uplink for any of the recent amsats?

If there was a constraint (for the summer into fall) of operating in a
limited visibility area, and approximately 50 sq. ft of open access (i.e.,
21 ft monopole mast with open  free area about 4 ft dia.) would that be
adequate for any sort of uplink antenna? The good thing is that the
ultimate location of the club station antenna farm is huge, but for now
this is what we have. I'm open to AZ-El positioners but the mast loading
limit is pretty small for now.

Any suggestion welcome.

Regards,

Samudra N3RDX