e: Launch Costs (was-re: AMSAT-BB Digest, Vol. 7,Issue 312)

Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Launch Costs (was-re: AMSAT-BB Digest, Vol. 7,Issue 312)
From: Gus 8P6SM <8p6sm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:36:44 -0400

Barry, I truly welcome the launch of 1.) ARISSat-1, 2.) FunCube and also
3.) FOX-1.  Can you give me an idea when 4.) Mark Hammond, N8MH will be
launched, and what amateur capability he will host while in orbit?  :-)

Jokes aside, I am happy to see ham satellites carry educational
packages.  But I want to see amateur packages as well (as per 1, 2 and 3
above).  Satellites that carry ONLY educational packages and NO ham
packages are of no particular interest to me, since I am a ham and not a
student.  What concerns me is this:  As more satellites carry
education-only packages, the harder it becomes to 'sell' the idea that
an amateur package should be included.  How will you answer when someone
says "The last ten satellites carried no amateur package.  Why should we?"

--
73, de Gus 8P6SM
The Easternmost Isle

Gus:
Mark, N8MH is "launching" our education outreach initiatives;  I must say the
significant work that he has done to date has been both rewarding and
refreshing...   ;-)  However, he will be the first to tell you that there is
much work to be done and he needs help from those who are interested in
developing our education outreach capabilities.
One of the reasons why AMSAT-NA is building Fox-1 is to create a reliable RF
package capable of both amateur radio repeater capability as well as provide a
telemetry downlink for spacecraft and payload data.  The design provides both a
sub-audible, low data rate telemetry package that can be used at the same time
as the FM repeater is in operation as well as a 9600-baud telemetry dowmlink
that could only be used when the FM repeater is not in service.   The Fox-1
student payload will do fine with the low data rate telemetry, so we can
operate both the FM repeater and the provide data at the same time.  At some
point, however, we will activate the 9600-baud telemetry package as a "proof of
concept" to show what it can do.
Indeed, under the Fox-1 program, we're building four spacecraft (flight unit,
flight backup and two spares that will not have solar panels).  Under this
approach, AMSAT will be able to respond to future flight opportunities by
having "off the shelf" hardware readily available (e.g. just add the scientific
payload and solar panels).
Our intention is that once the Fox-1 design successfully demonstrates its
capabilities, to make the design "public domain."  That is, we will publish in
the AMSAT JOURNAL and/or the "AMSAT Symposium Proceedings" the specifics on the
design so that anyone can use it.  Under ITAR, AMSAT may publish such technical
materials (e.g. physically print to qualify as "publication";  placement in an
electronic format such as a website is NOT considered by the US Government to
be placement in the public domain).  What kills us with ITAR is that we cannot
share technical information with foreign nationals until AFTER the material is
placed in the public domain.  Consequently, we cannot collaborate in the
development of new technology with other AMSAT organizations, for example, but
we can share the fruits of our labor once placed in the public domain.
Now, why would AMSAT-NA do this?  We are well aware that university professors
who are interested in flying their experiments/payloads are not "RF Engineers."
 The success rate of university cubesat satellite programs once in orbit has
been disappointing, in part because their cubesats have not been well
designed/built from an RF perspective.  So, if AMSAT were to offer a
space-proven RF design that will support their payloads, our presumption is
that universities and others would hopefully adopt our design either by
partnering with AMSAT or by adopting our design and building the satellite
themselves.  Now, given that the RF design already incorporates an amateur
radio receiver/transmitter, our expectation is that once their
payload/experiment is concluded and the university is no longer interested in
their payload, that cubesat becomes an amateur radio satellite.  Consequently,
over time it is not just AMSAT that would construct an amateur radio satellite,
but anyone using!
  our design to fulfill their scientific mission.
Along with adopting a more reliable RF design, an additional advantage (at
least from a US perspective) is that extending the life of a satellite also
helps in dealing with an issue of "debris mitigation."  A US-based satellite
with a transmitter must be approved by the FCC (Federal Communications
Commission) and one of the questions being asked these days in the application
for operating from space is how the satellite developer will deal with debris
mitigation for that particular payload once the "useful life" of that satellite
is met.  If the satellite's useful life can be significantly extended by
converting it to a full time amateur radio satellite, then clearly that helps
to mitigate the issue of "debris mitigation." This is a significant advantage
to those who are scratching their heads trying to justify placement of a
satellite in an orbit with a 25 year life (due to the need of the payload) and
a one year science mission.
In essence we have the potential of fulfilling two significant achievements:
1.  Enhancing the design of cubesats so that these satellite don't immediately
become 'space junk' by providing a robust, space-proven RF package that will
meet the legitimate needs of payload developers; and
2.  Expanding the field of amateur radio satellite construction by
incorporating into the basic RF design an amateur radio capability that would
be placed in operation at some point after launch--either while the payload is
in service (using the low data rate scheme) or after the payload is expended
and the subsequent cubesat realignment as an amateur radio satellite (Perhaps
one year after launch).
Time will tell as to how this approach may translate into future amateur radio
satellites, though we believe this is a "win-win" approach.  The key here is
that AMSAT is actively pursuing ways to place amateur radio assets in orbit
through a cooperative arrangement built on what we do best (building small
satellites with good RF capabilities) and partnering with others who have a
need to fly their "widget" (scientific payload). This could include a direct
partnership or by having the "others" take advantage of the development work
performed by AMSAT and incorporating our design into the 'their' spacecraft.
This "out-of-the-box" thinking is one example of how we're trying to find ways
to keep amateur radio in space.

Regards,

Barry
WD4ASW