On 10/01/12, Bob- W7LRD<w7...@comcast.net> wrote:

> to my AO-7 afictionados...what is the maximum distance one can work edge to
> edge, and how did you figure that out?
> 73 Bob W7LRD

Bob -

Here's my take on your question. In addition to the orbital variations, there
are at least two other considerations: the altitude of the stations and the
elevation angle of their horizons (whether they can work down to zero degrees
elevation angle or even lower). There are many variations on this, but let's
look at a simple case where the stations are each at zero altitude (relative to
the earth's radius) and both can work down to exactly zero degrees elevation
angle.

At any given moment, the in-view area of a satellite will be almost exactly a
circle drawn on the earth's surface. (If the earth were perfectly round, it
WOULD be a circle, but variations in surface altitude create minor distortions.
So let's assume the earth is perfectly round, at least within the in-view
region.) The maximum distance question you ask becomes "what is the diameter of
this circle?" The diameter of the circle (call it D) is a function of both the
altitude of the satellite (call it A) and the radius of the earth (call it R).
For two points on the diameter of the circle (and the satellite directly above
the center of the circle), this three-dimensional question degenerates into a
two-dimensional problem.

[Okay, here I'm going to describe a geometry problem and use trigonometry to
solve it. After all, Bob asked "how did you figure it out?" and this is the way
I solve these problems at work. If you want to skip the derivation and get to
the answer, jump past the end of the brackets. This would be easier if I could
draw a picture, but I'll try to explain in words. Also, see the PPS below.

For the case where the ground station elevation angle is zero, the 2D view
becomes two right triangles. For each triangle, the vertices are at the
satellite, the center of the earth, and the ground station. The zero degree
elevation angle results in the right angle being at the ground station. So the
two legs of the right triangle are the slant range to the satellite and the
radius of the earth. The hypotenuse is the radius of the satellite's orbit,
equal to its altitude plus the radius of the earth. The two triangles are
positioned hypotenuse to hypotenuse.

What we need to determine from each triangle is the included angle between the
hypotenuse and the leg that goes from the earth center to the ground station.
Trig tells us this angle (call it B) is represented by the following equation:

B = Arccos( (earth radius) / (satellite radius) )

Substitute R for earth radius and A for satellite altitude, and this equation
becomes

B = Arccos ( R / (R + A) )

Once we have this angle, we double it to determine the earth-center angle
between the two ground stations. Divide this angle by 360 degrees to determine
what fraction of a circle this represents, then multiply that fraction by the
circumference of a perfectly circular/spherical earth to determine the distance
between the two points along the surface of that perfectly spherical earth.

Thus the distance between the two points (call that D) is represented by the
following equation:

D = (2 * B / 360) * (2 * pi * R)

Replace B with the equation above to get:

D = (2 * Arccos( R / (R + A) ) / 360) * 2 * pi * R

which simplifies to: ] <<<<<----- End of derivation!!!!

D = (pi * R / 90) * Arccos( R / (R + A) )

I put this equation in an Excel spreadsheet, so let's plug some numbers in.

AO-7 is listed on the AMSAT web page with an apogee of 1459 km and a perigee of
1440. Wikipedia says the earth's radius varies between 6353 km and 6384 km, but
most models come up with a mean radius of 6371. So plugging in R = 6371 and A =
1459 results in a D of 7904.7 km. At perigee (A = 1440), this drops to 7861.2.

In reality, you have to subtract a little bit from these distances; since the
satellite is moving, you need to be able to complete a QSO while both stations
are in coverage, so it's not quite as wide as the full diameter of the coverage
circle. But as I said earlier, there are additional variations. Propagation
might let your signal work below your actual horizon. The distance from your
station to the center of the earth may/will vary from the average of 6371 km.
The big kicker is if your antenna is at the top of a mountain so you can see
below zero degrees elevation angle; then the earth-center angle widens and the
distance increases. But the geometry becomes more complex. And the trick is to
find mountains of just the right height, just the right distance apart, with a
satellite at apogee exactly between them.

[More geometry: I typically solve this by adding more right triangles to make
the trig easy. For example, you define a grazing point where the signal "hits"
the surface of the perfectly spherical earth. Then you have one right triangle
from the ground station to the grazing point, and a second from the grazing
point to the satellite. I'm sure there's a way to do this with non-right
triangles, but the trig is easier for me to remember this way.]

Steve Melachrinos
W3HF

P.S. Nothing in this derivation is satellite-specific, so it works for anything
with similar geometry. Plug in AO-27's altitude to see its max range (6076.2
km, subject to the same limitations and assumptions). Or geostationary
altitude. Or the height of your repeater's tower to determine its coverage
area. Or put in the nominal six-foot height of a human to show that the
distance to the visible horizon is about 3 miles.

P.P.S. So I just Googled "human visible horizon" to verify my recollection that
the visible horizon for a six-foot-tall person is about 3 miles away. And I
came upon a web page, linked below, that does a similar calculation. His
objective was to determine the distance to the horizon from the observer's
eyes, which in our model is the satellite slant range. But he has a picture
that is similar enough to what I was trying to describe that it should help.
Just imagine the head of the stick figure is really AO-7.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/01/15/how-far-away-is-the-horizon/