-----Original Message-----
From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK)
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 16:30 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] CO6CBF to Symposium - update (16 October)

Hi!

Since I first posted about Hector CO6CBF coming to the AMSAT Symposium in
Orlando next week, I have received lots of e-mails showing appreciation for
this effort.  Thanks to everyone for their support!  I wanted to mention
that I have already received some checks at my mailbox today, in response to
the request I made for donations to help with the expenses related to
Hector's trip.  I won't list names and calls, but here is what arrived so
far:

$200 check from Texas
$ 25 check from Arkansas
$ 20 check from Alabama

Along with a $50 check I received from Tennessee some time ago before I went
public with this effort on the -BB, this means I have already received $295
toward Hector's trip.  Since I have not had time to scribble a web page
related to this, I will post updates here on the -BB and my Twitter feed
updates related to Hector's trip.
I do not intend on making public a list of names and calls of those who have
contributed, as a few have asked for anonymity - which I will respect.  All
contributions are appreciated, no matter how big or small.

A couple of hams have asked me if I would accept contributions in person at
the Symposium next week.  This would be OK with me.  In person, cash would
also be acceptable.  You could send me cash through the mail, but all
standard disclaimers regarding cash sent through the mail apply.

Hector sent an e-mail out this morning to me and a few others.  He is back
in his home city Cienfuegos, after a quick trip to Havana so he could pick
up his passport with its newly-issued US visa at the US "embassy" (formally
called the US Interests Section, which operates as a branch of the Swiss
embassy in Havana due to the lack of diplomatic relations between the USA
and Cuba) yesterday morning.
Hector delivered his passport to a Cuban immigration office in Cienfuegos
today, so his Cuban travel permit can also be put into his passport.  He
should be able to pick that up tomorrow, and then he has all the
government-issued documentation needed to make the trip - and I can purchase
his air ticket for the flights between Havana and Miami.

That's all for now.  Things are falling into place, with not much time
remaining until the Symposium.  For those not able to make it to Orlando,
I'm sure there will be photos and videos posted from the Symposium featuring
Hector.  More on that later.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/