On 18/10/12 03:28, Gus 8P6SM wrote:
On 10/17/2012 05:38 PM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
We're going to have to try coming up with clever satellites, rather than
flying a bent-pipe box the size of a fridge.  No-one is going to want to
lift that, without us paying full price.

I may not be 100% on the 'bent pipe' definition, but if it means hams
'talk' on the UP and other hams 'listens' on the DOWN, then that's what

What I am referring to is linear transponders. They're heavy and consume a lot of power. We need to either devise a new way of doing that, that doesn't involve heavy inefficient linear amplifiers, or stick to something like FM or GMSK where a little lightweight PA that doesn't dissipate most of the input power as heat will do the job.

we need.  Whether it be the size of a fridge of a matchbox, if ham radio
operators can't use it to communicate, then it's pretty pointless.  It

If it's big it won't fly, unless you pay for the whole flight. Have you noticed how airlines have stopped carrying children for free, too?

don't matter how much telemetry it sends, how many LEDs it blinks, how
clever the beacons, or what purty pictures it downlinks.  If hams can't
use it to QSO, then why bother?

It depends what you're trying to achieve. I'll respond to Domenico's comments here, too.

Most satellites are not built by radio amateurs. They're not there so you can talk to your friends. They are built so the engineering students that will build the satellites and spacecraft of the future. Like it or not, amateur radio is a secondary service on 70cm. We don't own that chunk of band. If you want to work a band free from "beep sats", stick to 2m and good luck with your build.

--
Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ