Hi All,

On Feb18th I visited 4 Labs at UC Boulder as a part of Lockheed-Martin's
Engineering Explorer Post program (www.engpost.org) that meets every other
Tuesday evening from September to May each year. I am sponsoring two young men
without fathers as members of this Post. What was interesting to me and
potentially other AMSAT members was that they are getting ready to launch a
satellite named DANDE that will transmit in the 430 MHz Amateur Radio band
using a "modified AX.25" packet radio protocol for the beacon and data. In the
control room I saw the TS-2000 they are using for communications. The control
room and all other activites for this satellite are located in the Colorado
Space Grant Labs on the University of Colorado's Bolder Campus in the Discovery
Learning Center. It is my understanding that a launch of this satellite could
be as early as next month (March) as the hardware is now through testing and
being prepared for launch on an experimental  Orbital-Science vehicle. !
 I was told that the orbit would be very elliptical and that the DANDE was
designed for low earth orbit, but this orbit will take it through the Van Allen
belts, so the DANDE could have a more limited life as a result.

For more info on DANDE I recommend the following sites:

http://dande.colorado.edu/files/DANDE_AGU_POSTER.PNG

http://dande.colorado.edu/files/pilinski_CEDAR_poster_2008_v4pr2.pdf

http://spacegrant.colorado.edu

http://spacegrant.colorado.edu/boulderstudents/boulderprojects/dande