Operating the microsats was a completely hands-free procedure. You told your groundstation what sort of files you were interested in, and went out to lunch. While you were away, the bird came up over the hill, rotors rotated, frequencies dopplered, and by the time you got back, the pass was over, your outgoing files were gone, your inbox was full of interesting stuff, and your gear was idle. Once you were all set up, it was brilliant. No 'operating' in the conventional sense, but absolutely effortless transfer of files and messages.

But transfer rates were relatively low, passes were short, and it could take several passes for in/outbound files to complete.

And the birds had huge data capacities, like 4 megabytes total. Yes, meg. So you had to keep your files small. But they could be anything you like, text or binary. Images, software, etc.

I met and became friends with a guy in England via the microsats, and when he was coming to 8P he sent me a JPEG so I would recognize him at the airport.

There were other types of BBS flying, too. The Fuji birds were pretty much exactly like terrestrial packet boards. Once you got ***CONNECTED you could ask for a menu and issue commands in the normal way.